Oh, How I Wish ...

Started by Amope, Saturday, 13 May 2023, 09:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SOCIAL MEDIA AND MENTAL HEALTH.jpeg

THE DILEMMA BETWEEN YOUR MENTAL HEALTH AND SOCIAL MEDIA
I want to believe that there is no youth presently who doesn't use social media. We are constantly connected to technology and social media platforms. While these advancements bring many benefits, they also pose challenges to our mental health and overall well-being. Now, the question is, what are these side effects on our health?

Oh, how I wish I can have it all too!!!
I am sure you can relate to me on the statement made above. We are so surrounded by different forms of pressure on social media. For instance, you see a seventeen-year-old boy driving a Highlander jeep yet there is no traced source of income. Trust me, that alone has put his counterparts and friends to be anxious.
They are already on the run, competing with him on how to be like him. How did we get here? Not only will your mental health be endangered, but you may end up with low self-esteem, thinking you are not doing well enough because of the process you are currently on which of course you are making progress.

Menace of Cyberbully and Online Harassment
I can count so many trends going on now about people calling each other names. As fun as you may think that is, unconsciously, those words are registered in one's mind which can lead to depression. It has really gone bad these days that even an innocent comment on a post can cause hullabaloo. Well, the best thing for such is to create resilience for yourself and decide to reduce your engagement in groups, especially the ones that pose danger and harm.

Body Image and Unrealistic Beauty Standards
We, ladies, are the major victim of these. After someone who you don't even know in her locality has used different filters to make her body or face look different, you become sad and feel you are not good enough or beautiful enough. Decide in your mind to accept who God has said you are and not what social media is telling you. Say positive things about yourself, and do not lose your guard at all, it is not good for your mental health. You may end up taking measures that will be a detriment to you later on.

Conclusion: The digital age offers incredible opportunities, but it also poses challenges to our mental health and well-being. By discussing these topics and sharing insights, we can raise awareness and empower young people to navigate the digital world in a way that promotes mental well-being and fosters a healthier relationship with technology. Let's work together to create a supportive and inclusive online community.

This is a topic worth discussing.

How I wish youths of this generation can understand that you don't need to impress anyone to stay happy.

The pressure of body image and unrealistic beauty standard is so bad that ladies go almost naked because of likes and comments. Even the men start comparing their partners to what they see on social media which has made some of them make wrong decision. 
I just hope that we can become more realistic

Quote from: Ayotunde Esther on Monday, 22 May 2023, 04:11 PMThe pressure of body image and unrealistic beauty standard is so bad that ladies go almost naked because of likes and comments. Even the men start comparing their partners to what they see on social media which has made some of them make wrong decision.
I just hope that we can become more realistic
Thanks for sharing.

How I wish my generation would realize the importance of self discovery and individual timeline differences.

Peer pressure does not bring pleasure.